This holiday season, you can revel in the joy of celebrations while still nurturing your commitment to a healthier lifestyle. As the holidays surround us, maintaining our fitness and nutrition goals takes a thoughtful approach. Here’s what we would recommend as a strategy to keep pursuing your fitness goals while celebrating:
1. Set Realistic Goals: Understand that the holidays might bring schedule changes, travel, and different temptations. Set realistic, achievable fitness and nutrition goals that account for these factors. Nothing is worse than setting yourself up for failure. Plan to succeed!
2. Prioritize Consistency: Even if your usual routine is disrupted, prioritize consistency when you can. Shorter, focused workouts or adapting to a different schedule can help maintain momentum. Even if it is not your “normal” routine – something is always better than nothing.
3. Plan Your Workouts: Schedule your workouts in advance. Whether it’s at-home workouts, gym sessions, or outdoor activities, having a plan and a time reserved increases the likelihood of follow-through.
4.. Practice Mindful Eating: Be present during meals! Listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues, and savor the flavors of your food. Rather than mindlessly taking treats at a party, take the time to truly enjoy what you choose to eat!
5. Choose Smart Indulgences: It’s the holidays and you will indulge – that is expected! We recommend enjoying festive foods while being mindful of protein and portions. Create balance by opting for nutrient-dense meals throughout the majority of your week.
6. Include Friends and Family: Incorporate movement into your holiday traditions. Family walks, group workouts, or outdoor games are a great way to connect with loved ones and stay moving!
7. Prioritize Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for maximizing training, recovery, and overall well-being. Aim for consistent sleep patterns, even amid holiday celebrations.
8. Accountability Partners: Share your goals with a workout buddy or join a fitness challenge. Having someone to share the journey with can provide motivation and support.
9. Manage Stress: The holidays can be stressful for many. Incorporate stress-reducing activities like meditation, deep breathing, or yoga can support mental well-being.
Remember, the key is finding a balance that allows you to enjoy the festivities while respecting your commitment to health and fitness. Adjustments are part of the process and to be expected! Be flexible and kind to yourself during this season. The fastest way to achieve results is consistency not perfection!